(Above) ‘ARTHUR JAFA: A SERIES OF UTTERLY IMPROBABLE, YET EXTRAORDINARY RENDITIONS’ at the Julia Stoschek Collection.
(Above) Loris Gréaud at Max Hetzler.
(Above) Andro Wekua at Spruth Magers. The gallery concurrently presented exhibitions by Senga Nengudi and Kara Walker.
(Above and following two) Mariana Castillo Deball's ‘das Haut-Ich’ at Galerie Barbara Wien, taking the tonalpohualli calendar and the deity Xipe Totec as a starting point.
Berlin skyline from KINDL's second floor.
(Above) Installation ‘5, Rue Saint-Benoît’.
- Report from Berlin Gallery Weekend and Cologne, (28 April–4 May 2018) archived on Wakelet
- In conversation with Haegue Yang, Fundació Tàpies, Barcelona, 3 May 2017. 18 April 2017
- Participants in the symposium "You're such a curator!" at de Appel Arts Centre, Amsterdam, (23–24 November 2016) and Amsterdam Art Weekend 12 December 2016
- Mariana Cánepa Luna reviews Ana Jotta’s “Abans que me n’oblidi (Before I forget)” exhibition in art-agenda 11 November 2016
- Haegue Yang "Der Öffentlichkeit" commission and 'Ends of the Earth – Land Art to 1974' at Haus der Kunst, Munich 11 November 2012;
- Report from Urdaibai: commission series 'Sense and Sustainability', Urdaibai Arte 2012 22 July 2012;
- Report from the symposium 'How Institutions Think' organised by the LUMA Foundation and CCS Bard College, Arles, 24–27 February 2016;
- Report from Amsterdam Art Weekend 27–30 November 2014;
- Photo report and Storify of the symposium "When Does an Exhibition Begin and End?", National Library of Singapore, 14 May 2014;
- Report from Frieze week: Frieze Art Fair, Frieze Masters and the whole other rest, 12–18 October 2014;
- Report from Madrid: Exhibitions during Apertura 2014 Gallery Weekend (11–13 September 2014);
- 'Incidents of Travel' Hong Kong, 7 January–10 February 2013.
This month we revisit Roman Ondák’s exhibition ‘Some Thing’ at The Common Guild, Glasgow, in 2013, during which Latitudes was invited to give a talk. Roman’s show comprised a series of composite works in display cases. Early still-life paintings and pencil drawings from his student days in Slovakia in the 1980s were coupled with the actual objects depicted – a chair, a length of rope, a helmet, a vase (a detail of "Shadow, 1981/2013" is the work above), and so on, which were placed in a deadpan way on top of them.
—> Continue reading
—> After May it will be archived here.
Cover Stories' are published on a monthly basis on Latitudes' homepage featuring past, present or forthcoming projects, research, texts, artworks, exhibitions, films, objects or field trips related to our curatorial activities.
- Archive of Monthly Cover Stories
- Commentary text on Roman Ondák now available via The Common Guild' website 13 January 2014
- Report from Glasgow: Lecture at The Common Guild and studio and gallery visits 4 December 2013
- Cover Story – April 2018: "Cover Story—April 2018: Dates, 700 BC to the present: Michael Rakowitz" 3 April 2018
- Cover Story – March 2018: "Armenia's ghost galleries" 6 March 2018
- Cover Story – February 2018: Paradise, promises and perplexities 5 February 2018
- Cover Story – January 2018: I'll be there for you, 2 January 2018
|Review ‘The Molecular Turn’: While Social Media Flourishes Ecological Systems are Collapsing. At La Panacée, Montpellier, Nicolas Bourriaud’s manifesto for a new movement and attempt to demarcate an artistic peer group." on frieze magazine.|
—> Video of Lúa Coderch presenting her work (Spanish with English subtitles).
|Review "The Girl with No Door on Her Mouth: Lúa Coderch's Acts of Making Noise. The artist explores the politics of the female voice that speaks out or is shut up, at àngels barcelona, Spain." on frieze magazine.|
- Writing archive on Latitudes' website (since 2005);
- "The Kørner problem” essay by Max Andrews in the monograph "John Kørner" published by Roulette Russe, 19 February 2018
- Max Andrews essay on Christopher Knowles for NoguerasBlanchard at Liste 2017, 21 July 2017
- Cover Story – January 2017: How open are open calls?, 4 January 2017
- Cover Story – December 2016: Ten years ago – Land, Art: A Cultural Ecology Handbook, 5 December 2016
- January 2016 Monthly Cover Story: Kasper Akhøj's Eileen Gray’s E.1027, 4 January 2016
- Symposium participation, "The Shock of Victory", Glasgow, 25 September 2015
- Review of the exhibition "What cannot be used is forgotten" in the May issue of frieze magazine, 29 April 2015
- Review of Maria Thereza Alves' exhibition at CAAC Sevilla published in frieze magazine 9 March 2015