The March-April 2019 Monthly Cover Story “Icelandic refraction” is now up on Latitudes' homepage: www.lttds.org
“It has been speculated that Icelandic spar was at one time used for navigational purposes,” reflects curator Becky Forsythe. Her account of a short Reykjavík day spent with artist Þorgerður Ólafsdóttir is the latest episode of Incidents (of Travel), the series edited by Latitudes and produced by Kadist.”
—> Continue reading
—> After December it will be archived here.
Cover Stories' are published on a monthly basis on Latitudes' homepage featuring past, present or forthcoming projects, research, texts, artworks, exhibitions, films, objects or field trips related to our curatorial activities.
- Archive of Monthly Cover Stories
- Cover Story–February 2019: Schizophrenic Machine (1 February 2019)
- Cover Story—January 2019: “Seesaw” (7 January 2019)
- Cover Story—December 2018: "Treasures! exhibitionism! showmanship!" 1 December 2018
- Cover Story—November 2018: "Joan Morey—postmortem judgement reenactment" 1 November 2018
- Cover Story–October 2018: "I can’t take my eyes off you: Eulàlia Rovira and Adrian Schindler" 1 October 2018
- Cover Story–September 2018: Harald Szeemann’s travel sculpture, 10 September 2018
- Cover Story–August 2018: Askeaton Joyride, 2 August 2018
- Cover Story–July 2018: No Burgers for Sale 2 July 2018
- Save the date: 13 September, 6–9pm. Latitudes-curated exhibition ‘Cream cheese and pretty ribbons!’, Galerie Martin Janda, Vienna, 21 June 2018
- Cover Story—June 2018: Near-Future Artworlds Curatorial Disruption Foresight Group, 4 June 2018
- Cover Story – May 2018: Shadowing Roman Ondák, 7 May 2018
After weeks and long hours facing the screen and mining hard disks, we've uploaded Latitudes' redesigned portfolio, at last! Go to download page and choose format:
For desktop/laptop/tablet view (83pp, 30.9 MB)
For mobile (164pp, 15.8 MB)
For print (164pp, 155.3 MB)
The pdf gathers a selection of projects produced since 2005 and includes a refreshed version of our biographies – which have also been updated on our website.
Ninth episode of ‘Incidents (of Travel)’ – Dispatch by Becky Forsythe and Þorgerður Ólafsdóttir from Reykjavík, Iceland
'Incidents (of Travel)' explores the chartered itinerary as a format of artistic encounter and an extended offline conversation between curator/s and artist/s. Online storytelling presents and documents curatorial fieldwork and a day conceived by an artist for a curator.
Conceived by Latitudes in 2012 as day-long artist-led tours around Mexico City (with five dispatches were presented as part of an exhibition on Latitudes' practice at Casa del Lago), 'Incidents of Travel' had sequels in 2013 in Hong Kong (online dispatches published via Twitter, Instagram, and Soundcloud) and San Francisco in 2015 (daily posts as part of Kadist's Instagram take over initiative #ArtistNotInTheStudioCuratorNotAtTheOffice).
In 2016 Kadist and Latitudes partnered in a new 'distributed' phase of 'Incidents (of Travel)' as part of Kadist Online Projects, publishing contributions from invited curators and artists working around the world.
In the eighth 'Incidents (of Travel)' dispatch Móvil co-founder and curator Alejandra Aguado followed the itinerary devised by the artist Diego Bianchi around Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Their exploration took them from the self-regulated community Velatropa to the buzzing commercial area of Once, identifying human and non-human flows and interactions. This became an entry point for discussing Bianchi's interests in how, as consumers, we define a particular zeitgeist and appropriate trends that enable us to affirm our identities.
- The eighth episode of ‘Incidents (of Travel)’ – Dispatch by Alejandra Aguado and Diego Bianchi from Buenos Aires, Argentina 6 September 2018
- The seventh episode of ‘Incidents (of Travel)’ – Dispatch by Camila Marambio and Lucy Bleach 28 June 2018
- The sixth episode of ‘Incidents (of Travel)’ – Dispatch by Marianna Hovhannisyan and students from the National Center of Aesthetics from Yerevan, Armenia 1 March 2018
- The fifth episode of 'Incidents (of Travel)' – Dispatch by Simon Soon and chi too from Terengganu, Malaysia 26 April 2017
- The fourth episode of 'Incidents (of Travel)' – Dispatch by Pedro de Llano and Luisa Cunha from Lisbon, Portugal 2 March 2017
- The third episode of 'Incidents (of Travel)' – Dispatch by Yu JI and Xiao Kaiyu reporting from Suzhou, China 6 September 2016
- Second 'Incidents (of Travel)' dispatch by Moses Serubiri and Mohsen Taha reporting from Jinja, Uganda 30 June 2016
- Kadist and Latitudes present 'Incidents (Of Travel)' online 31 May 2016
- An Instagram takeover of Kadist Art Foundation in San Francisco (28 August 2015)
- Residency at the Kadist Art Foundation, San Francisco, 26 August–9 September 2015 (29 August 2015)
- Nadim Abbas' "Incidents of Travel: Hong Kong" public tour (19 January 2013)
- Ho Sin Tung "Incidents of Travel: Hong Kong" tour (30 January 2013)
- Yuk King Tan's "Incidents of Travel: Hong Kong" tour (3 February 2013)
- Samson Young's "Incidents of Travel: Hong Kong" tour (7 February 2013)
- Archive of social media posts related to "Incidents of Travel" tours and photo-documentation.
- 13 field recordings from 'Incidents of Travel: Hong Kong'
- Interview between Christina Li and Latitudes on 'Incidents of Travel' for Witte de With's 'Witness to Moderation(s)' blog, 7 May 2013 Inauguración de 'Incidentes de viaje' & 'Proyectos 2005–2012' en La Sucursal, Casa del Lago, México DF, 27 de septiembre 19:30h, 25 septiembre 2012